Wednesday 9 May 2012

Making a Canteen

Originally, I was meant to make the canteens out of wood. But after seeing a rehearsal, my props tutor has decided that they need to be made from foam as this will be safer during the stage combat and will endure more wear and tear. I feel a bit dubious as I want them to look good and I'm not sure they will.

These are the steps I took to make the Canteens:


Using my research I drew a circle pattern to the correct size and cut out two circles of foam. I then cut out the strip to go around the outside. I made strips to support the shape of the canteen and glued the whole thing together.


I cut strips of thinner white foam and glued them on. I rounded the edges like the actual canteens.


I cut slits in the sides to give the impression of wood panels.


I cut two wooden dowels to size, one slightly thicker then the other, and glues them on to make the spout. I drilled a hole in the top one so I can put a string through it.


I sprayed the whole thing with brown primer.


Using a glossy wood tone spray paint, I covered the canteen then rubbed some off to give it a multi-tonal wood effect.
I then added on a faux leather strap using contact cement to ensure it stays on. I also pushed in a nail covered with epoxy glue to stop the strap from peeling off.


I painted the white strips grey then sponged on a lighter and darker grey to create the metal effect. I painted on nail heads and rust around the edges.

I painted on the E R emblem to show they're for British soldiers. 

These are the finished Canteens:



In the end, I'm happy with how these have turned out. They look much better then I thought they would and I'm surprised. I think I am still going to make a wooden one as a separate project and portfolio piece especially as I got half way through making it before we realised it needed to be foam instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment