Sunday 20 May 2012

Paint Shop hours - WIFA work

For my extra credit hours, I worked in the paint shop and helped out on the set for War is Fucking Awesome. This is some of the work that I did:





Sculpting foam with horse grooming tools to give the look of rock




Using Mr Crusty (a mixture of clay powder and white glue) to add texture


We smoothed it on with trowels and then stuck the trowel down flat on the surface and pulled it up to create texture





We covered in foam with cheese cloth and Mr Crusty to strengthen it and give it a more rocky feel.


We painted stripes onto the front of the stage to represent the American Flag


We applied Mr Crusty mixed with foam balls to the front to create more texture




Using brown, yellow and grey, we painted to rock face, mixing the colours and feathering them into each other.


We painted red or white on the front of each step depending on what colour the stripe was. This gave an impression of the red dripping down like blood.


I helped the set designer, Cassie, sponge tones of blue on for the square of the flag.


This is what the set looked like after paint priority weekend.

These are some production pictures of the set:


I helped paint the eagle on, paint the rings and paint the 'rock' it's mounted on with the same technique as we did on the front of the stage.


I also helped cover the 'wagons' at the back which are moving set pieces made to look like big chunks of rock.

I have really enjoyed working on the WIFA set and it gave me a chance to apply some of the skills I learnt in scene painting class to an actual set. It has really made me realise how much I want to do set painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment