Thursday 19 April 2012

Canteen Research

My next project for props class is to make a British canteen from the late 1700s. I'm really excited for this project as I'll be working with wood and exploring techniques that I haven't tried before. 


These are the research images that I have compiled to help me create the canteen:








From these images I can tell the basic shape and size of the canteen and what it's made from.

There appears to be a disc of wood on each side that are being held in place by blocks of wood that run around the outside. All the canteens are different but I've estimated that there's about 13 blocks around each one.

There's two metal strips running round the outside to hold it all in place, a canvas strap and a stopper that can be removed so a soldier can drink out of it. I will consider all these elements after I have made the basic shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment