Monday 16 April 2012

Dressing the men's room

To make the stage feel more like a men's room, I have come up with the idea to 'tile' the floor by painting black and white squares onto it.

To do this, I got the girls to help me mark out the floor with masking tape to make approximately 11 inch squares. This is the floor marked out:


I then used a roller to 'fill in' the squares like a checker board. I faded out the edges to give it a fading out effect:


When it was dry we took the tape off:


We borrowed the urinal from someone who was literally just about to get it fitted in their house which was very lucky.

For the props, we visited The Ridges which is where OU's theatre department stores their props. From there we got:


A Sink Unit, a Chair, two Stools, broken chairs and the two black and white chairs in the photo above this one.

This is what the finished set looks like:




We got the posters from a shop on the high street near the university. They sell lots of different sized posters from different decades and genres.

Finally, I drew some graffiti around the urinal to give it an authentic men's room feel.


I am really happy with how the set has turned out considering that we have had no budget and had to source everything. The overall effect is great and Dennis the director is really happy with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment