Tuesday 3 April 2012

USITT Conference Evaluation

I feel so lucky that I was part of this conference as I've learnt so much over the past few days.


It was great to be in an environment with thousands of other theatre-minded people and seeing so much interest in what AUCB has to offer was really nice too. I found talking about the university a little difficult at first as I didn't want to give out any wrong information or put potential students off. But once I got into the swing of it, it was really nice to talk about AUCB as I'm really proud that I'm a student there.


I'm grateful to of had the chance to talk to international students and theatre practitioners and also to see what's out there to do when I graduate. I've always known that there is so many things that I can do with my degree, but USITT has really opened my eyes to the hundreds of possibilities available to me.


While I was there, I visited the Disney Parks stand to get advice about internships after I graduate. I know it seems really childish to work for Disney, however, it's something that I've always really wanted to do. Why would you not want to create magic and magical experiences every day?
I spoke to a lady that works in the costume department, and she told me about all the positions available and when to apply. I really need to make sure I have a wide range of costume and set experience for this time next year so that my portfolio shows how versatile my work is and I can be.


The talks that I went to ranged in quality. I have written about the best ones (see USITT talks) but I have left out the ones that were less interesting and informative. 
We went to a talk on World Costume, which I had really high hopes for, but it ended up like a show and tell of 'this is what I did on my holiday' and 'this is the productions that my university has put on'. This was a real shame as the talk had the potential to be really good and interesting.


I felt a little disheartened but the not so good talks, but after talking to Holly and Graham, I realise that not all the talks are good and you're lucky if you go to 2-3 talks that you find interesting, so I did quite well really!


I really enjoyed the last session we went to, the hands-on costume design, as it gave me a chance to be creative in an environment where I have observed creativeness a lot. I think that students at AUCB would benefit from this kind of session as it gets you to think quickly about designs and it gets you to merge text and images together. I'm surprised we haven't done any sessions like this.


I loved the Young Designers Forum. It was great (plus a little intimidating) to see all the work from the recently graduated students of America. It was especially nice to see the amount of scenic designers in the exhibition as I find that sometimes exhibitions can be a little costume heavy.


Overall, I have immensely enjoyed my few days at the USITT conference and I hope to one day attend the conference again as a theatre practitioner.   


The Expo Floor

Rose Brand's impressive stand

Rose Brand's Snow machine

Ben Nye's Stand

An amazing set box at one stand

Prosthetics stand 

Miniature Beauty and the Beast costumes at the Disney Parks stand

No comments:

Post a Comment